The Adler Planetarium (Chicago, IL) has an opportunity available in the Astronomy department for an Astronomer position. The Astronomer will be responsible for conducting and leading forefront research in astronomy while effectively integrating research programs with public outreach to provide accurate and up-to-date content and implementation for Adler projects that convey the process and content of science to the public effectively. The Astronomer will help bridge the gap between research and educational communities and to help “put a human face” on science for the general public including media interactions and direct visitor experience.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Perform cutting edge astrophysics research in area of specialty and related activities, such as writing and managing observing proposals and grants, supervising and mentoring postdoctoral researchers
• Attending and presenting at scientific conferences, developing research ideas for citizen science projects and performing service to the research community such as reviewing papers or serving on review committees.
• Develop and manage signature outreach initiatives focused on inspiring members of the public to better appreciate and understand science.
• Provide expert science advice for development of Adler exhibits, programs, shows, interactive media and public materials.
• Interacts directly with internal and external audiences through different venues and modalities.
• Providing expert science content and eloquent communication with print, radio, and television media and developing professional relationships with reporters, media personalities and outlets.
Education and Experience:
• Ph.D. in Astronomy or related field
• Postdoctoral experience
• Previous researcher, professor, or other faculty position experience preferred.
• Previous museum work or educational and outreach experience
• Broad knowledge of all areas of Astronomy.
• Ability to perform individual research in observational or theoretical astronomy study
• Excellent public speaker and communicator with complex subjects in an accessible and exciting manner.
• Strong research abilities including excellent analytical skills, creativity, self motivation and the ability to manage multiple projects
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V
Do Not Fill This Out