Collections Database Assistant
The Adler Planetarium (Chicago, IL) has an opportunity available in our Webster Institute department as a Collections Database Assistant. The purpose of the Collections Database Assistant is to support the collections management staff in maintaining documentation and records for museum, library and archival collections. The Collections Database Assistant updates and maintains the integrated Collections Management Database and participates in digital collections management.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Update and maintain the integrated Collections Management Database, following established content standards, data structure standards and controlled vocabularies.
• Participates in digital collections management, following established metadata standards, file naming conventions and standards for master and derivative images.
• Data cleaning, correcting data errors, copy cataloguing
Education and Experience:
• Bachelors degree
• Coursework toward an M.L.I.S or M.A. in museum studies, art history or history of astronomy.
• Experience working with museum collections management or library databases. Awareness of museum, library and archival content standards, controlled vocabularies and data structure standards (EAD and MARC).
• Experience in library technical services, copy cataloguing or as a museum cataloguing assistant preferred.
• Experience with digitization projects, scanning and metadata creation preferred
• Demonstrated ability to organize data and work with databases.
• Proficiency with 4th Dimension, FileMaker Pro, Excel, Minisis MINT or OCLC.
• Knowledge of Photoshop (Mac Platform) and scanner technology.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V
January 14, 2013
Do Not Fill This Out