The Adler Planetarium (Chicago, IL) has an opportunity available in the Citizen Science department. The Maser Educator will be responsible for building and maintaining the Adler’s relationships with local youth organizations partners and high schools. The Master Educator will work with minimal oversight to design, develop, implement, and assist in the evaluation of science and/or technology focused partnership projects. Such projects will typically involve relationships with multiple personnel, possibly involve more than one partnership organization, last for a period of several months, and include a mix of museum based and externally based activities for youth participants
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Design and develop new partnership programs, focused on opportunities for engaging youth with science and technology. Look for funding opportunities and assist in the grant writing process.
• Implement existing partnership programs
• Assist in the evaluation of new and existing partnership programs and with report writing
• Build and maintain relationships with new or existing partners
• Work with other educators within the Citizen Science department to find opportunities to embed scientific research components into new and existing youth programs
• Research freely accessible webs based technologies suitable for engaging a youth audience in web development and social media.
Education and Experience:
• Masters degree or higher required in the field of Education, Museum Studies, Physics/Astronomy, Computer Science or a related field
• 5+ years of experience in youth engagement, preferably working with students in urban schools or with urban focused youth organizations
• Experience creating learner-centered science or technology education products or programs from concept through design, development, implementation and evaluation
• Preferred experience working on grant funded projects and maintaining relationships with funders
• Ability to manage partner relationships at the individual and institutional level
• Excellent verbal communication skills and ability to speak to large groups that consist of children and adults
• Must be proficient with various technologies and learn new technologies such as robotics, high altitude balloons, etc.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V
October 15, 2013
Do Not Fill This Out