Public Relations and New Media Manager
The Adler Planetarium (Chicago, IL) has an opportunity available in the Communications department as the Public Relations and New Media Manager. The PRNM Manager oversees the overall planning, implementation and the evaluation of the Adler’s public relations and new media presence as it pertains to PR. The PRNM Manager will be responsible for the day-to-day management of media and public relations. In coordination with the Experience Design department, create strategic new media initiatives in support of Adler attendance and awareness goals, to drive attendance and enhance the Adler brand. The PRNM Manager will also assist with museum e-communications, sponsorship, special events, promotions, departmental budget, communication plans, reports and additional marketing support.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Manages public and new media relations for the museum
• Writes and distributes press materials (press kits, media calendars, press releases, media alerts, etc)
• Pitches and places news stories and services press requests
• Coordinates and executes all media interview requests and interviews
• Plans and coordinates special events and press previews
• Crafts talking points for media interviews and public events
• Works with Associate Director of Experience Development on day-to-day and strategic messaging as it pertains to PR to promote the museum and raise the Adler’s profile
• Assists with writing and editing of the Adler’s monthly e-newsletter, collateral, and other various internal communications.
• Assists the Director of Museum Communications with overall communications strategies, plans and departmental budget.
Education and Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism or related field
• At least 5 years or more of progressive experience in public relations field.
• Knowledge of science, non-profit, cultural intuitions preferred, but not required.
• Must possess strong writing/editing skills and the ability to create professional quality media and promotional materials
• Exceptional communications skills
• Proven success with new media
• Ability to create and execute press events preferred
• Ability to develop print publications (desktop publishing)
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V
January 25, 2013
Do Not Fill This Out