The Adler Planetarium (Chicago, IL) has an opportunity available in Education department. The Senior Educator for STEM Student Experiences will be instrumental in creating authentic STEM learning experiences for PreK-12 students. As a project team member or team leader, the Senior Educator will make significant contributions to the design, development, implementation, and evaluation of student centered STEM learning experiences. Such experiences may happen at the museum or in the community and will typically take place over a period of several hours to several days and focus primarily on students and secondarily on adults such as teachers, parents, etc. Under the Director of Education, the Senior Educator may also manage project budgets, mentor junior team members and participate in authoring funding requests and program reports for funders and other stakeholders.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Design and develop new student programs
• Implement existing student programs
• Evaluate and revise existing student programs
• Administrative duties such as manage budget, mentor staff, manage inventory, write funding requests and reports
Education and Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree in Education, School Administration, Museum Studies, Physics/Astronomy or related field
• Graduate degree preferred
• 3+ years of experience in a science education environment, preferably working in an urban school or with urban school partners
• Experience creating learner-centered science education products or programs from concept through design, development, implementation and evaluation
• Experience delivering professional development to science teachers, preferably in an urban district
• Experience working on grant funded projects and maintaining relationships with funders is preferred
• Ability to deliver engaging, differentiated science instruction to PreK-12 students
• Excellent verbal communication skills and comfort delivering oral presentation to a wide range of youth and adult audiences
• Excellent writing skills including the ability to tailor writing styles to the needs of specific audiences.
This position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter required to report the observed or suspected abuse or neglect of children, dependent adults, or elders to designated law enforcement or social service agencies.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V
October 15, 2013
Please no phone calls
Do Not Fill This Out