The Adler Planetarium (Chicago, IL) has an opportunity available in our Education department for a full time Senior Educator Science Coach. The Senior Educator will be a partner in continuing to build and maintain the Adler’s relationships with selected Chicago Public Schools and Big Shoulders Fund pre-school through middle school teachers and assistant teachers. As a member of the Education department, the Senior Educator will provide coaching support, aid in the design and implementation of professional development, and assist to cultivate and maintain a professional learning community among educators in the program.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Engage with an established caseload of Pre K- Middle School teachers and assistant teachers.
• Build and maintain trusting relationships, set goals related to improving science inquiry instruction
• Facilitate collaborations in person and online
• Model best practices of Pre K-Middle School science inquiry
• Observe and provide formative feedback to teachers
• Co plan and/or co-teach lessons and assist teaches with reflecting on their own classroom practices
• Aid in establishing and maintaining a community of practice as a support network for teachers as they implement recommended instructional practices.
• Provide the Education team with formative feedback about teacher practices and fidelity of implementation
• Assist in connecting with district administrators to maintain regular communication regarding program status.
• Assist in designing and delivering effective Pre K-Middle School science teacher professional development.
• Assist with family field trips to the planetarium
Education and Experience:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Pre K-8 education with an emphasis in science education
• Graduate degree preferred
• 3+ years of teaching experience in elementary or secondary education
• Preferred experience in urban schools or with urban school partners
• 2+ years experience in a role that involves some amount of mentoring, coaching or training teachers.
• Extensive knowledge and understanding of human development theories and classroom practices.
• Additional professional experience working with students Pre K-Middle School.
• Ability to travel to schools through Chicago 4 days a week.
• Must have valid driver’s license and own vehicle and auto insurance
• Excellent writing and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to work closely with teachers and administrators from diverse populations
• Must be able to work occasional evenings and weekends.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V
Do Not Fill This Out