The Adler Planetarium (Chicago, IL) has an opportunity available in the Citizen Science department for a full time Statistician. With the Technical Lead, this role is responsible for the design of algorithms and statistical models to power the next generation Citizen Science platform and to work with other members of the development team to implement such strategies.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Development of algorithms, statistical models and research related tasks.
• Attending conferences and meeting with project partners.
Education and Experience:
• Ph.D. in Astrophysics, Mathematics, Economics, Statistics or related fields
• Experience of designing and implementing statistical models and algorithms.
• The ability to adapt existing algorithms from scientific literature for real world uses
• Experience with Bayesian Statistics and modeling complex systems
• Experience with statistical programming languages and packages such as R, python, etc.
• A thorough understanding of Object Oriented programming and domain modeling preferred
• Experience of software development and software release strategies preferred
• Experience with functional programming languages preferred
• Experience of running applications in a distributed environment.
• Significant computing skills using a Mac OS or Linux environment
• Knowledge of a modern statistical languages or frameworks (R or Python)
• Proficiency with database technologies such as MySQL or MongoDB, Redshift or Hadoop preferred.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V
November 27, 2013
Do Not Fill This Out