The Adler Planetarium, (Chicago, IL) is seeking a Theater Technician for our Theaters Department. The Theater Technician is responsible for maintaining the proper working condition of the Grainger Sky Theater, Definiti Space Theater and S.C. Johnston Family Star Theater. The position also provides technical support for Adler public events, private events and meetings. This position must attend to all details of technical upkeep, functional operation and outward appearance for assuring visitor safety and enjoyment of the Adler’s theaters and public event spaces. This position also assists in the supervision of Theater Operators and acts as the on-call replacement for Theater Operators, in addition the position will assist the Director of Theater Operations and Associate Theaters Manager on projects and programs. Weekends, holidays, occasional evening and later hours are required.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Maintain technical integrity of Adler theaters through daily inspection, maintenance and testing. Ensure that all theaters are in optimal operational condition by the time the museum opens to the public each morning.
• Perform alignment and calibration function on theater equipment, monitors theater hardware, performs backup procedures, and endeavors to anticipate equipment and software failures.
• Support and provide technical assistance for public shows, private events, internal events and other projects requiring AV expertise or theater access for a successful audience experience.
• Maintain theater supply inventories, order consumable supplies to minimize theater down time and installation of supplies
• Observe and report day to day performance of Show Operators, communicate current issues to Operators, and assist in the training of Operators.
Education and Experience:
• Some college experience and AV experience
• Bachelor’s Degree preferred
• 2 + years with planetarium experience or equivalent professional AV experience. Must be able to demonstrate ability to give a compelling public astronomy presentation.
• Ability to perform diagnostics regarding maintenance and operation of theaters and events
• Able to work as a team with other staff
• Thorough understanding of planetarium software operation and ability to perform basic programming functions
• Knowledge of media playback, theater control, video projectors, audio PA equipment, computers, operating systems and basic networking
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V
August 5, 2014
Do Not Fill This Out